Sunday, October 6

Replacement Theology

So it turns out I'm rather naive about some things.

I know we're all shocked by this admission, but let's get past it for a moment so I can share what I've learned in the last two days.

Certainly I was aware of Zionism before coming to Jerusalem.  I was also aware of the political challenges Zionism posed for the Palestinians -- or more specifically, for Muslims.  Duh.  And of course we little Western children with all our special Western media have grown up watching this monumental impasse between two ancient people-groups from across our tiny ocean and think, gee, can't they all just...get along?

I came to Jerusalem keen to learn more from both of these parties, without the filter of our media.  What I didn't at all anticipate is the fascinating situation I find myself in here at my hostel on the back side of Mount of Olives.  Here are a group of people I can only describe as Christian Zionists.  They are evangelical Christians from all corners of the earth gathered here for weeks and months at a time, to pray and be taught.  What they are taught (among other things) is that Jews do have a right to this land, as it is God-given and transcends political divisions (so far, very much like their Jewish counterparts).

They also believe that Christians should be active in (i) ridding the world of "the lie of Islam" through prayer and sharing the Gospel and especially expelling Muslims from Israel, and that Christians should be active in (ii) restoring Jews to their rightful land, literally, and converting them to Christianity.  They believe that Jesus will return to this very spot (like, this VERY spot -- this piece of land on which I now  sit typing, on the eastern slope of Mount of Olives, because this is where they believe Christ ascended into heaven).  

Now, I knew there were Christians who read Scripture (mostly the Old Testament) literally regarding Jerusalem and the Holy land, and its importance for God's work on earth.  But I didn't know it existed to this extent, such that part of the 24/7 praying and theological training done here specifically targets Christians who believe what I believe, namely, "Replacement Theology".

Replacement Theology is the idea that through the work of Christ on the cross and his resurrection, not only have all people gained the right to be part of God's Kingdom and be counted among his Chosen People, grafted onto the original tree of Abraham's descendants -- but furthermore, that the birthright of Jews (in particular, ownership of Jerusalem and it's temple, the physical location of God) became the birthright of all believers.  In order for that to make any sense,  Jerusalem and the Kingdom of God and the Temple must be transformed, by the very words of Christ, into concepts far beyond the immediate physical interpretation.  That is, in Jesus' teachings and actions, the physical Jerusalem becomes the Church at large, the physical Kingdom of Judaism to be ushered in by the Messiah becomes a physical AND spiritual kingdom for all believers, and the Temple becomes the heart of individual believers, the home in which God resides.

That's radical stuff-- part of the reason that one of my fave theologians N.T. Wright says Jews were so entirely scandalized by Jesus' teachings.  And it is what I believe: Replacement Theology.  But here among this group of persons, this theology is a lie actively prayed against.  In fact, I've been urged to join them in this.

Which, I confess, I have not done.  Of course I've been having a good think about it all -- mightn't it be true that there still is something special about Jerusalem, this actual square acreage of sand and rock, hill and shrub? Something special about Israel the nation? About Jews?  Can it be true that they are God's chosen nation while at the same time also be true that Christ's work on the cross forever removed boundaries among nations and peoples? Can I believe the truths of the Old Testament and its many prophesies in a way deeper than mere metaphor, and yet firmly maintain my Reformed view of what the Messiah did and said?

So talk to me, theologian friends.  Where're we at on this?  I mean, I didn't put in the hard work of becoming your friend for nothin' (*wink*)

-E

p.s. G&G-- saw a house catch on fire today.  it was shocking, but i (and all people nearby) remain perfectly safe.

p.p.s. I should emphasize that I have loved chatting with and getting to know the people here -- they are excellent and amiable brothers and sisters. We just have very different views about aspects of our faiths.

1 comment:

  1. Right on, Elise! What you stated as "replacement theology" is exactly what my Bible Study with Beth Moore is studying- how the OT temple becomes our hearts where God now resides as the Holy Spirit, how Jerusalem symbolizes the entire world of Christians now, and how the covenant extends to everyone with Jesus' sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete